Wednesday, October 05, 2005

My first LOVE

I first fell in love when I was 10, to a really handsome guy with dreamy big eyes and a spaced- out look. We met at a church camp, and the whole time we played together...we had fun... we couldn't stop thinking about each other...

Okay, this is not about me and my mushy love stories. I do have quite a few, by the way!

Here, take some time to ask yourself a few questions:

What are the things you LIKE?

...What are the things you LOVE?

If we just blurt out without thinking, perhaps we might say things like: 'Sleeping...Chocolates...Money...Travel...Books...' (Nothing wrong with liking or loving these, by the way.)

When we take some time to reflect on it, perhaps we might answer something to the tune of the 'higher ideals', as referred to, in Maslow's hierarchy of needs. Perhaps the importance of Truth. Righteousness. Of Family and Friends (and Lovers.) Of Church and Community. Some would value Work...

God says:
"I know your deeds, your hard work and your perseverance. I know that you cannot tolerate wicked men, that you have tested those who claim to be apostles but are not, and have found them false. You have persevered and have endured hardships for my name, and have not grown weary. Yet I hold this against you: You have forsaken your first love."
- Revelation 2:2-4

I challenge us, not to forget our first love. Like the song goes, "My first love, I'm reaching out, once again/My heart's consumed with you/Lord I yearn, Lord I thirst, for more of you."

In our daily challenges, pursuit of life, work, and purpose; let's focus on things that are truly important - Things that have eternal significance.

And most importantly, make sure you know who is your first love.

1 comment:

fy said...

Amen! That's a good reminder. (=