Tuesday, December 11, 2007

A lost (and broken hearted) sheep

A light* sharing...

I was watching a Korean drama series when the 'gangster' who fell in love with a pastor's daughter quoted the story of the lost sheep to the pastor, which softened the pastor's heart towards him.

Which goes to show that God can speak through random things!

==

"I am lost, help me find my way." -Lee Seo Jin, as Ha Kang-Jae, Gangster boss in "Lovers", 2007.

Sheep. Some of us have seen them. Not many of us have had the chance to own them. But... I believe all of us have eaten them? Haha! Ok, bad joke.

Imagine if you were a sheep, and one day, you got lost. Sheep do get lost quite often, like humans sometimes get lost in the daily grind of life. Perhaps you, mr sheep, got lost while chasing a butterfly. Or wanted to eat the greener grass on the other side of the pasture. Or followed your own tail.

The fact is that, you got lost.

So think about:
1. The reason WHY you got lost
2. How you felt when you realised, you were truly, lost, with no means to go home and no idea how to, either.

I'm sure you are feeling slightly afraid, now. Maybe you fear being killed out there in the wild by some savage beast. Or, you just long for the comforts of home and your sheep friends. Maybe you are fearless and adopt a 'lost then lost, lor' singaporean attitude. Heck care. Just enjoy your time outside. Just eat grass and don't think too much. But sooner or later, you will long for home and a place to rest, safely, with sheep who love you.

It's getting dark. It's getting cold.

Back home, at the other side of the meadow, Father Shepherd is counting your family for the night. One, Frank. Two, Kenneth... ... 98, Rachel. 99, the other Rachel.
Where is Sheepy? Lost? Again!?!

In the dark, Father Shepherd takes out his mega watt torch light and beams all over the meadow until he spots a small white figure, huddled in a corner beside a rock near the treacherous cliff.

Father Shepherd runs to the poor, lost Sheepy.
And hugs him, and safely carries him back.

==

I shared this story to a class of high-school students in Bali (translation was needed).
In Indonesian, the term they use frequently for broken-heartedness is 'bata-hati'.

Everyone there knows this term. Everyone understood this term.

Perhaps, they have been broken hearted before. I was told that most of them came from dysfunctional families. Broken homes, broken lives. Perhaps from an early age, they knew what it was like to be lost.

When I shared that I too, was lost, and broken-hearted, they understood.

No matter where you are in the world, you will know what it feels like to lose something or someone you really care about. This story tells us about the Father's love for us. A simple story, really. We often overlook it in Luke 15.

But the simple story of the Father's love for us has so much truth.

He left the 99, and came to look for you. Because God loves that one lost sheep.

All through your life, God showed you a Relentless Belief.
Our Father Shepherd took us in our arms and loved us with an amazing love.

"All I know is I once was lost, but now I'm found
I was blind but now I see...
And I know He will do for you
What He's done for me."

No comments: