Wednesday, April 25, 2007

What are you packing for THE JOURNEY?

A reality check.

Vacations. Trips. I was just thinking because my highly-anticipated trip to Bangkok is postponed indefinitely. I've already made up a list of what to pack, and where to go, when I'm there. For most people, making lists is definitely a must, when they decide to go on trips. Like, if I go to a backpacker's inn, I would have to bring my toothbrush and towel along. Whereas if I'm going to be in a hotel, I'd not need to bring those items.

What are some things that you will always take with you no matter where you go?
For a long time now, it used to be my bunny, Anastasia.(stuffed with love from Marks and Spencer.) When I am feeling a little homesick, just looking at her face and silly ears made me feel much better. Every church camp without fail, she would be one of the first things I'd pack, on my list. So I think all of us have little things, particular to us that we have to bring, just to remind us of who we are, or to remind us of home. Maybe it's that special shampoo your hair cannot survive without. Maybe it's the perfume you always use, or the chain you wear around your neck. Like it or not, we have to recognize that we form attachments to little things around us that gives us some normalcy or stability, familiarity in our lives. And so we pack these little things into every journey.

But what is the destination?
For almost all journeys, we will most likely be aware of our destination. And if you look at it this way, Life is one big journey, too. We pack and throw away our books, notes and stuff from the time we graduate. And we make plans, either to study again or to work. If we decide to study, we need to pack for the journey. Buy school clothes, books, stationery. The list goes on and on. And then, we pack and unpack again. And sometimes the stuff can be reused for other journeys, so we keep them. Some stuff have to be chucked out. Mum's doing a spring-clean of the storeroom, so the stuff is now sitting in my hall. Lots of my past art stuff that I can never bear to throw away, but it's been years, and they do take up a lot of space, so maybe some of it has to go. I have 3 guitars in the storeroom. 2 of which are slightly damaged but the cost of repairing it might not be worth it; the other one just needs some restringing and knob replacement. But no one wants to see them thrown away, or has the heart to bring them downstairs, at least not yet. So maybe they will sit in my hall for a week or two. Is it time to move on in your spiritual journey? Maybe there are some things you are carrying in that heavy backpack of yours that you need to throw away. Hurts from your past relationship. (Yes, I do need to throw away some things, delete some photos, and memories.) Work-related stress? I don't think you need that. So why not put it down for the moment. Leave it by the pavement, here. If you decide that you need it again, you can always pick it up later. How about your Pride? The "I used to do things this way" thinking. Maybe that doesn't work for the NEW place you are going to. Unpack it too, and buy some new thinking on the way to your new place.

To know where is your destination hugely determines your choice of what you are going to pack for the journey. For long journeys, you need to bring along a Bible. Unlike physical journeys where we are sure of where we are heading (to Thailand, to a new school, a new workplace, parenthood, etc), in YOUR spiritual journey looms a more important question: Wait a minute... Just exactly where am I heading to?

Not many people know. Some people choose to remain ignorant and sort of stagnate. They think: Oh, since I don't know the destination, just let me be here. So they become pew potatoes, some people who are 'there' but never really going anywhere. Some have lost the fact that they are packing for their spiritual journey. So they just waste their lives away, never really making an impact to anyone or doing anything really worthwhile. Some know the destination (Eg I have a full time call) but are unsure how to get there, or when, or why.

But God knows. That's a comforting thought ain't it? And a more comforting verse, in Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord.

Plans to prosper us and not to harm us.
Plans to give me hope and a future!...WOW. You mean God actually has plans for my life?

Last cell, I shared that there are seasons for everything. Almost like the four seasons - for me it's a time of spring, new things. Renewal! And not so cold anymore, too. In Ecc 3: God has made everything beautiful in His Time. And later, it says: I know that everything God does will endure forever. Isn't that the best promise from our Abba Father?

Every answered prayer... lasts forever.
Every miracle of healing...lasts forever.
Every thing you did to show God's love to someone...lasts forever.

Every plan God has for you lasts forever.






Let your spiritual journey be determined by God. God will lead the way for you. You don't have to worry.

HAPPY PACKING AND BON VOYAGE!

Reading for deeper perusal: Ecc 3

No comments: